※ Novaled joined Samsung group in 2013.
- Organic chemistry: Development and mass production technology for a new high-performance material
- Device technology: Fabrication and analysis of OLED devices
- Manufacture: Mass production technology for high-purity organic material
OLED Develop History
Samsung SDI and Novaled, as leading companies of OLED materials, are preparing future technology that will bring innovation in the materials field and paradigm shift for the next-generation.
Build-up the base technology development
Phosphorescent Green host development
Development of ETL material
Development of HTL material
Start mass production of world-class ETL material
Start mass production of phosphorescent G-host/HBL
Foundation (spin-off Technical University Dresden)
Start mass production of world class p-dopant material
subsidiary in Japan
subsidiary in Korea
new owner Samsung
OLED light-emitting elements and principles
When a current flows from the anode of OLED device to its cathode, holes are injected from the anode while electrons are injected from the cathode. They are transported through their respective transport layers and then to the emitting layer. Holes and electrons are combined in this emitting layer, changed to excited state. When going back to ground state, they generate energy in the form of light.OLED devices and materials
OLED devices consist of common layer for electron transport and emitting layer that actually emits light.
- P/N dopant: additives for improving conductivity of electron transport layer
- ETL: Electron transport layer with high transport characteristics
- HTL material: layer with high hole transport characteristics
- EML: emitting layer with high emission-efficient host and dopant
- Glass substrate
- Transparent anode (ITO)
- Hole transport layer (HTL)
- Emitting layer (EML, Host)
- Electron transport layer (ETL)
- Metal cathode
Samsung SDI and Novaled OLED materials
Samsung SDI and Novaled are developing various kind of products including P/N dopant, electron transport material and materials for emitting layer, optical auxiliary layer and outcoupling. Innovative products of Samsung SDI and Novaled make it possible to manufacture high-efficient and long-lasting OLEDs, which makes our position as an ideal partner to the AMOLED display panel vendors.
OLED 소재 - EIL, ETL, YG/G-host/GAMUT, HTL, CGL-p/n EIL ETL YG/G-host/GAMUT HTL GGL-p/n SDI EIL - ETL 0 YG/G-host/GAMUT 0 HTL 0 GGL-p/n - Novaled EIL 0 ETL 0 YG/G-host/GAMUT - HTL 0 GGL-p/n 0
- High-power efficiency and long-lifetime for various emitters
- Low operating voltage
- Easy Charge Balance Control
- No change in properties
OLED products of Samsung SDI are widely applied to smart devices, wearable devices, OLED TVs, lightings, OPVs, etc.
Other Organic Electronics
(e.g. OPV, OTFT)