For e-Bike Battery
The Definition of e-Bike (Electric Bicycle) Battery
An electric bike (e-bike) is a regular, two-wheeled bicycle that uses additional power from an electric motor when higher speeds are needed. Its core components consist of an electric motor that drives the wheels and an e-bike battery that supplies electric power to the motor.
- PEDELEC (PEdal ELEctric Cycle)
- An electric bicycle whose motor runs when the bike is being pedaled in order to assist the rider.
- Throttle type
- An electric bicycle that moves without pedaling (this e-bike is 100% battery powered).
(It is called Throttle Type. An e-Bike driven by 100% battery power)
PEDELEC, Throttle type comparison
||Throttle type e-Bike
|Engage the motor by applying pressure to the pedal
||Engage the motor by turning the wheel or pushing a button
|Increase in Pedal assist/Throttle hybrid models
Mounting the braking/downhill recharge function for high-priced models
e-Bike Battery Specification
||Mileage for a Charge
||250W ~ 300W
|e-bike Battery 3.7kg
Including the bike 26.5kg
Lead Storage Battery Used as e-Bike Battery vs.LIB
||Lead Storage (e-Bike) Battery
|Energy Density (Wh/kg)
||LIB has more than twice the energy density
|Average Output Density(W/kg)
||LIB has more than twice the output density
||◎ (About 3kg)
||LIB is less than one-third the weight
||△ (Under 1 year)
||◎ (About 3 years)
||Lifespan of LIB is three times longer
|Cruising Range (km/Wh)
||Both are equal
- Electric bicycles are beneficial to commuting workers (in their thirties and forties), housewives and students (who can use the bikes for shopping and commuting), and the elderly (who can use the bikes for leisure and exercise).
Samsung SDI's 36V 10Ah(360W)class Lithium Ion Battery Pack
- Lithium ion batteries are mainly used for mobile IT units like laptops and cell phones because of their high energy density and light weight. Since pro-environment, green energy has recently become a social issue, Samsung SDI has applied battery technology to many electric products such as electric bicycle, UPS systems, and electric tools (which use lead storage batteries or nickel-cadmium batteries).
- The e-bike battery pack developed by Samsung SDI consists of a multi-series parallel combination of cells using 50 lithium ion, 3.6 V, 2.0 Ah circular cells that guarantee the best quality and safety. SDI also implemented a battery management system (BMS) that determines the combination of cells. It can produce up to 360 W output, a maximum speed of more than 20 km/h, and 40 km cruising range with a six hour charge.
- Compared to lead storage batteries used to power existing e-bikes, lithium ion battery packs have twice the energy density, one-third the weight, a shorter charge time, and three times the life expectancy.
- As a result, lithium ion battery packs can play an important role in the development of lighter and more compact e-bike batteries, and also offer an environmentally friendly advantage due to lithium ion’s superior life span when compared to lead storage batteries, which require frequent replacement.
- For convenience and safety, a battery charge sensor and display, a temperature sensing unit, as well as a basic protection circuit are built into the cells.
- As lithium ion cells, owing to their many benefits, draw attention as green energy products, lithium ion battery packs will become available with varying outputs, which will increase their functionality. As a representative of pro-environmental energy, Samsung SDI will lead the way for this technology.